PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations?

Fiendish Ghoul
04-29-2003, 11:11 PM
I'm living in Hong Kong. I have a month off, no friends in my immediate area, and with SARS still going around I don't feel like going out too much. Buuuuut, games are cheap. I've picked up a bunch lately and have been largely disappointed. I feel like playing...

A time-consuming role-playing game that isn't just about bashing monsters to level up. Something like Fallout. Solid combat system would be a bonus too.

Complex but not too hard to learn strategy game. I have Civilization 3 here, but I can't play that forever. Master of Orion 3 blows. I got Medieval: Total War and find it pretty good, but I bought the Chinese version which makes learning it a go a little slow. I mean, I can understand most of it, but all those medieval territories and units, ugh.

Real-time strategy that isn't stupid. Command and Conquer: Generals is stupid. I like the concept of this genre, but I'm sick of gather-build-rush.

I'm a bit bored with shooters, but if anybody has recommendations for an action-oriented game with some complexity or gameplay innovations I'd be interested. I don't have the greatest graphics card, anything envelope-pushing technology-wise is a bad idea.

thelittleprince
04-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Fiendish Ghoul
I'm living in Hong Kong. I have a month off, no friends in my immediate area, and with SARS still going around I don't feel like going out too much. Buuuuut, games are cheap. I've picked up a bunch lately and have been largely disappointed. I feel like playing...

A time-consuming role-playing game that isn't just about bashing monsters to level up. Something like Fallout. Solid combat system would be a bonus too.

Complex but not too hard to learn strategy game. I have Civilization 3 here, but I can't play that forever. Master of Orion 3 blows. I got Medieval: Total War and find it pretty good, but I bought the Chinese version which makes learning it a go a little slow. I mean, I can understand most of it, but all those medieval territories and units, ugh.

Real-time strategy that isn't stupid. Command and Conquer: Generals is stupid. I like the concept of this genre, but I'm sick of gather-build-rush.

I'm a bit bored with shooters, but if anybody has recommendations for an action-oriented game with some complexity or gameplay innovations I'd be interested. I don't have the greatest graphics card, anything envelope-pushing technology-wise is a bad idea.

How about a game of chess??

thelittleprince
04-29-2003, 11:35 PM

How about a game of chess??

Fiendish Ghoul
04-29-2003, 11:53 PM
I don't get it, are you saying I'm too picky?

thelittleprince
04-29-2003, 11:58 PM
Whatever...

The Toe
04-30-2003, 05:05 AM
Ignore him.

The only ones I can recommend are the ones you've probably already played. Deus Ex is a great choice if you haven't tried it already. It's old enough that your system might run it ok. (Maybe) And it's a long game, too. Anachronox is another one that breaks the convention of RPGs. It's pretty aged as well, and should run fine. If you ever beef up your machine, I'd highly recommend Morrowind.

Fiendish Ghoul
04-30-2003, 06:03 AM
Yeah, I enjoyed Deus Ex (though my ultra-critical nature found a lot of room for improvement; by the end it was just "airduct, pick the lock or hack the console?" again and again.) and am definitely anticipating the sequel. Even if I felt it could've gone farther, that's the kind of direction I wish more developers would take. I don't care so much about new technology, I want to see more risk-taking game design.

My system isn't exactly crappy, it's just that I'm using a laptop and stupidly didn't by the best video card I could've and am now stuck with it. Current stuff (Unreal 2, Raven Shield) is generally playable if I don't max out the eye-candy, it's the next-gen stuff that I'm worried about.

Another game I got a lot of mileage out of was Jagged Alliance 2, if anyone has any other ideas about open-ended turn-based tactical stuff I'm interested. I like the IDEA of real-time tactical/strategy games, but in most games it's just too chaotic. At least Total War lets you give orders while the game is paused.

Econ
04-30-2003, 02:35 PM

I recommend Swat 3 for a nice blend of strategy and first person shooter action. If you keep the graphic settings on low/medium you should be able to get by.

An excellent real-time strategy/city sim. that I enjoy is Ceaser III.

Dsrtfx
05-07-2003, 10:45 PM

Do I hear Thief anyone?

(And maybe a dash of Rogue Spear on teh side?)

El Mosca
05-08-2003, 03:23 PM
If you like turn based strategy try Age of Wonders 2, or Heroes of Might and Magic 4. For an RTS try Homeworld 2. And for RPG Icewind Dale 2.

That should be enough.