PDA

View Full Version : What shows got you into anime?

killthemall
07-21-2006, 02:22 AM
For me it was dbz, the american versian. That was many years ago and I and several of my friends were enthralled with it. DBZ was really the show that got me started checking out other anime. I was a huge fan of DBZ for a few years and then I guess I grew up realized that the American versian of dbz is really not that great and that the show itself at, many times, is almost hilariosly awful. I still have a soft spot for dbz I like a couple of recent video games but i'll probably never watch the show again. After DBZ I discovered adult swim and cowboy bebop which was such an amazing show. So I guess bebop was the first good anime I saw and made me realize that every anime isn't like dbz. So I guess Cartoon Network/Adult Swim is how I "discovered anime" like bebop and the amazing Trigun. Right now though I'm not seeing much anime, except for the last four episodes of Trigun which I came into possession of, because I don't have cable.

So what shows got you into anime?

kenada
07-21-2006, 04:27 AM
A combination of DBZ and Pokemon. :)

Wild_Card
07-21-2006, 08:14 AM
I owe it all to Neon Genesis Evangelion

Grand SACHI
07-21-2006, 03:16 PM
I owe it all to Neon Genesis Evangelion

sideburnz
07-21-2006, 03:17 PM
robotech and transformers as a kid growing up in the eighty's. and then when adult swim started showing cowboy bebop it became an obsession. now i download fansubs of stuff not coming to the states for a couple of years. check out speed grapher. first volume just come out over here.

GundamRT
07-21-2006, 03:27 PM
robotech and transformers as a kid growing up in the eighty's.
Same here, but my real leap into this beautiful world came with getting hooked on Gundam W on Toonami and my wife buying me the first volume of the manga of Chobits.

Predalien
07-21-2006, 04:50 PM
im also gonna have to say DBZ

Galapogos
07-21-2006, 04:54 PM
GitS, DBZ and Akira

Rogertron
07-21-2006, 05:48 PM
A mix of 3 things:

Evangelion ADV trailer, DBZ & Gundam Wing.

coolerimmortal
07-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Dragonball Z and Gundam Wing on Toonami for me, back when I was...ah, let's see...9, I think.

DarkRival
07-21-2006, 08:17 PM
I have to give DBZ credit for getting me into anime.

Dark neo_wolf
07-21-2006, 09:19 PM
I remembered watching Akira in 1990, i was blown away and hooked on anime ever since.

The One
07-22-2006, 04:02 PM
I got Princess Mononoke when I was 7 and watched it three times in a row that day. I have seen it around 17 times now and I owe my hobby to that movie.

Darth Nevets
07-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Robotech, Macross, taped off of VHS. Stupid Elementary Schools never let out in time to see the show.

Oldboy Bebop
07-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Akira and Cowboy Bebop

Matt
07-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Voltron (oh yes we need a live action Voltron movie!) and Robotech. Later on Akira, Battle Angel, Patlabor (I highly recommend the first 2 movies).

-Matt

BizzNizzy
07-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Technically, Vampire Hunter D (original).

But the first series I ever got into was Fushigi Yuugi. Inventive plot, incredibly in-depth characters, and great OST.

Mermaid
07-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Random stuff from childhood. But the first real series I watched with any regularity was Sailor Moon. :o

Demons In The Night
07-24-2006, 03:27 PM
robotech and transformers as a kid growing up in the eighty's. and then when adult swim started showing cowboy bebop it became an obsession. now i download fansubs of stuff not coming to the states for a couple of years. check out speed grapher. first volume just come out over here.Ugh, don't even mention Speed Grapher. I watched the first few episodes, and it sucked. Horribly.

I've watched cartoons since I was a kid, but the first anime I ever saw was Ranma 1/2 at a friends house something like 10 years ago.

Demons In The Night
07-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Random stuff from childhood. But the first real series I watched with any regularity was Sailor Moon. :oDon't be embarrassed. I'm a guy, and you would **** your pants if you saw my Sailor Moon dvd collection. SM was probably the 3rd or 4th anime I ever saw. I guess you could call it a guilty pleasure.

GundamRT
07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
I've watched cartoons since I was a kid, but the first anime I ever saw was Ranma 1/2 at a friends house something like 10 years ago.

Ranma is very much a "small doses" show for me. My father-in-law is a die-hard Ranma fan and has written a large fanfic that takes the concept and applies it to a Latin American setting.

Demons In The Night
07-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Ranma is very much a "small doses" show for me. My father-in-law is a die-hard Ranma fan and has written a large fanfic that takes the concept and applies it to a Latin American setting.That's what it is like for a lot of people. I can't get enough of Ranma even though it's a bit formulaic and the same jokes are repeated, but I love it all the same. I have up to the 6th season of Ranma on VHS and DVD, and I'm going to get the 7th season sometime soon.

That's pretty funny about your father in law. That's die hard indeed. Not that I haven't read my share of fanfiction, but writing it is a whole different story.

edit: I might even know which Ranma fanfic that is. Is it called Macho Caballo?

Abelcain
07-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Not counting Voltron, Robotech, or Speed Racer (which I didn't consider "anime", hell, I had no idea what anime was as a kid), I had seen the live action Guyver movie on some random channel in the mid- nineties, and while browsing at a store happened across the anime TV show. I was amazed at the type of content that was permissible and consider that to have been the main draw to anime at the time. Every week thereafter I'd head to the same store and spend my meager wages on a tape. After I'd picked up all 6 of those I branched out a bit with Venus Wars, Wicked City, Golgo 13, Akira, Street Fighter II, and quite a few other crappy movies.

At the time ('94) I had no internet access, and there wasn't much info available regarding animation on the web or otherwise, so alot of my purchases were blind buys and restricted to theatrical releases. I didn't really start exploring series' until a couple years later, and even then I tried to pick short ones.

Say what you will about the Guyver series, but it ushered in a whole new world of film and television for me. :)

Mermaid
07-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Don't be embarrassed. I'm a guy, and you would **** your pants if you saw my Sailor Moon dvd collection. SM was probably the 3rd or 4th anime I ever saw. I guess you could call it a guilty pleasure.

Well I'm not really embarassed. I think of it kind of fondly and sometimes still make references to it. A friend and I had that series in common, and she introduced me to Ranma after that, because she found it hilarious. Obviously, I've branched out since those days. :)

Demons In The Night
07-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Well I'm not really embarassed. I think of it kind of fondly and sometimes still make references to it. A friend and I had that series in common, and she introduced me to Ranma after that, because she found it hilarious. Obviously, I've branched out since those days. :)Yeah, I branched out since I first started watching anime, but occasionally I'll pop in one of my many Ranma videos or dvds. Or read my Ranma manga. It's classic.

GundamRT
07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
That's pretty funny about your father in law. That's die hard indeed. Not that I haven't read my share of fanfiction, but writing it is a whole different story.

edit: I might even know which Ranma fanfic that is. Is it called Macho Caballo?
Indeed it is. :D

coolerimmortal
07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Don't be embarrassed. I'm a guy, and you would **** your pants if you saw my Sailor Moon dvd collection. SM was probably the 3rd or 4th anime I ever saw. I guess you could call it a guilty pleasure.

Sailor Moon was the third anime I ever saw. When I was a lot younger (8-10, I believe), I didn't have cable, and the only way I could watch anime was to see it on Cartoon Network. My grandparents had cable, though, so I'd always watch Toonami constantly when I was visiting. On the day Sailor Moon premiered, they were advertising the hell out of it during Dragonball Z...It looked like fun (they were advertising it as an action show), so I decided to watch it. It turned out to be completely different from what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

God I loved Toonami...

Demons In The Night
07-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Indeed it is. :DHoly ****! My anime geekiness in action folks. You may be impressed/disgusted.

Demons In The Night
07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Sailor Moon was the third anime I ever saw. When I was a lot younger (8-10, I believe), I didn't have cable, and the only way I could watch anime was to see it on Cartoon Network. My grandparents had cable, though, so I'd always watch Toonami constantly when I was visiting. On the day Sailor Moon premiered, they were advertising the hell out of it during Dragonball Z...It looked like fun (they were advertising it as an action show), so I decided to watch it. It turned out to be completely different from what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

God I loved Toonami...Yeah, those were the good ol days

GundamRT
07-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Holy ****! My anime geekiness in action folks. You may be impressed/disgusted.
Oh, I'm impressed, you're the first person that I know of in RT that knows about Macho Caballo. Any opinions? He loves feedback.

XhunterX
07-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Initial D

Dharmarama
07-25-2006, 10:29 AM
The subtitled Tenchi Muto OVA.

Now I can't stand it.

Demons In The Night
07-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh, I'm impressed, you're the first person that I know of in RT that knows about Macho Caballo. Any opinions? He loves feedback.Eh. It was alright. Not great, but not bad either. It's been awhile since I've read it. I don't really remember that much of it.

Demons In The Night
07-25-2006, 05:14 PM

Now I can't stand it.Are you sure you don't mean the American version? The subtitled version is leaps and bounds better than the cartoon network one.

unreal25
08-05-2006, 04:13 PM
well i used to watch dbz and some other animes on tv, but i didnt really get hooked on it till i watched both trigun and slam dunk

theanimecabaret
08-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Oddly enough, it was never the SHOWS that got me into anime...it was a mix between a friend I used to have who drew anime, and reading manga books....then I started getting into Naruto, One Piece, Inuyasha, Princess Tutu (don't judge me!)....

Yeah.

http://www.bigblogger.com.br/bigblogger/blog_15080/galera%20love%20hina.JPG

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/KotokoPlum/Cute%20Anime%20Pics/Moonlit.jpg <3

TheAnimeCabaret

Dharmarama
08-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Are you sure you don't mean the American version? The subtitled version is leaps and bounds better than the cartoon network one.
No, I mean subtitled. It's good for a few laughs, in particular before Kagato shows up, but now it feels so...stupid.

Stu
08-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Bebop.

sopralto
08-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Rurouni Kenshin! I started watching dubs on Toonami (I can't *stand* the dubs now of course) and fell in love.... Total love.... I love Kenshin....

Technically "My Neighbor Totoro" though ^^x I loved it as a 4 year old.

Galapogos
08-13-2006, 10:45 AM

Now I can't stand it.

Actually the first volume of Tenchi Muyo and the In Love OVA were some of the only anime movies at my Blockbuster so this is true for me as well.

In that I now can't stand Tenchi either.

Beyonce 3000
08-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Star Blazers, back in the late 70s/early 80's

Wreckloose
08-14-2006, 07:21 PM
I think the first anime I saw was Akira. And then I believe it was the Sci-Fi channel had a week of anime, where i saw Galaxy Express 999, Iria Zeiram, and the Fatal Fury movies. Then DBZ and Gundam Wing on Toonami.

Keridwen
08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
I remembered watching Akira in 1990, i was blown away and hooked on anime ever since. Akira in about 1995 for me, followed closely by Ninja Scroll and Robotech.

The first manga I ever read was Parasyte, something I can't find in english anymore.

SonOfCthulhu
08-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Akira and a snippit of that horrible Urotsukidoji henti which proceeded to rot my tiny little mind.

BottleofStevens
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Ah really like Cowboy Bebop, he be real cool and civil like, he be my faverite.

why Ah have color white?

Fredrick2003
08-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Pokemon.

Yeah... I know.

GundamRT
08-20-2006, 09:04 PM
^^^
To this day, I still kick myself for not buying a booster box of the original cards when they first came out and I had the money. They wouldn't be worth what they were back in the day, but I could still probably get a hefty price for 'em. *sigh*

JackG2
08-21-2006, 01:08 AM
For me it was Akira. Got me to watch a lot of adult animes like Wicked City and others.

Hazelrabbit2006
08-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Pokemon, Digimon and Silver Fang.

http://www.world-art.ru/animation/img/6000/5003/mini.jpg

:fresh:

Shevonne
08-23-2006, 07:22 AM
For me it was "Candy Candy" and "Captain Tsubasa."

Skel1977
08-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Berskerk. In fact its the only anime series I like. I also like Princess Mononoke(spelling?) a lot

coolerimmortal
08-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Berskerk. In fact its the only anime series I like. I also like Princess Mononoke(spelling?) a lot
Berserk is a masterpiece...truly, no other anime can rival it. Have you read the manga? It's actually quite a bit better.

Fredrick2003
08-23-2006, 07:01 PM
In response to the satement about the cards.

I did, and I have quite a few im sorry to admit.

They arn't worth anything yet though.

Ayato
08-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Gundam Wing, Voltron

varuda
08-28-2006, 01:03 PM
DBz got me interested but def akira blew me away when i saw it years ago. now watch naruto,bleach and anything else i can get.
prefer japenese versions -just watched final fantasy advent children which is mind blowing!
i wish they would make a bleach movie this way ....

kargalak
08-29-2006, 04:01 AM
Grendizer, Robotech, and Voltron

Otger
08-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump (both dubbed in catalan), so I started with Akira Toriyama.

Myaku
08-29-2006, 08:50 AM
I think I was about 6 or so... I saw Mobile Suit Gundam... I fell in love. I loved the action and the interaction of the characters. And the fact that people actually died... I felt like such an adult watching it.

From there it was Drangon Ball, Dragon Ball Z... And then Akira. The rest is history.

codgie2
08-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Sailor Moon introduced me to anime and there's nothing like your first taste. I have lots of sentimental love for it, but the thing I appreciate the most about it is the fact that it got me interested in learning about the culture, along with wanting to learn more about anime. That's pretty impressive for one show. Oh yeah, and for one summer I was really obsessed with DBZ, when it was the Cell saga on Toonami. Everyone that I worked with at a pool would talk about it (although it wasn't like much happened from day to day) ;)

Skel1977
09-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Berskerk. In fact its the only anime series I like. I also like Princess Mononoke(spelling?) a lotI have not. I dont really know anything about animes so I dont even know what manga is.

SheDezy
09-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Voltron and Transformers as a kid...

Then my own kid started watching Pokemon/DBZ, then Yugi, and now Naruto/Avatar..kinda got me into it.

JackG2
09-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I have not. I dont really know anything about animes so I dont even know what manga is.
Manga is basically another word for comic books. :p