PDA

View Full Version : "The Dark Knight Returns" was grossly overrated

Limping Lucy
07-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Yes, it "went" there, but "there" sucked hard.

edit: *is overrated

ggfunk
07-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I think most people here would disagree with you. I think you know that. You are a troll, so **** off.

Superdog
07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
I disagree sir. At the very very least, the characterizations off all the bat people is spot on perfect.

Darth Nevets
07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Dude, you didn't even try.

SonOfCthulhu
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes, it "went" there, but "there" sucked hard.

edit: *is overrated
"Don't mince words Bones, tell me how you really feel."

Galactus
07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm still ashamed I don't own Dark Knight Returns.

Maybe it's the number of editions of it that are keeping me from adding it to my library. What should do I folks? Is the deluxe hardcover really worth the extra moolah?

ggfunk
07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm still ashamed I don't own Dark Knight Returns.

Maybe it's the number of editions of it that are keeping me from adding it to my library. What should do I folks? Is the deluxe hardcover really worth the extra moolah?
I don't really see a lot of sense in buying the Absolute editions...but then again, money is tight with me. If you have the dough to blow, then by all means...they're incredible.

TheCrazyGuru
07-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Is the thread starter going to actually offer any reasons. There are very few graphic novels that top The Dark Knight Returns.

ggfunk
07-25-2006, 02:41 AM
Is the thread starter going to actually offer any reasons. There are very few graphic novels that top The Dark Knight Returns.
The thread starter is a troll. They post intentionally inflammatory remarks in order to get people riled up. They rarely, if ever, come back to defend their position.

Old Yeller
07-25-2006, 05:22 AM
It didn't "suck hard," but yes, it probably is the most overrated comic book ever. I mean, people tend to throw out Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen as the best books of the medium, but DKR isn't even close to Watchmen's quality. From that era, Miller's Year One, Daredevil and Elektra stories are better.

Limping Lucy
07-25-2006, 05:46 AM
The thread starter is a troll. They post intentionally inflammatory remarks in order to get people riled up. They rarely, if ever, come back to defend their position.
You may not be familiar with me, but I've been posting on this forum for a long time...under a different name, and while I may state something in a trollish manner, I am almost always dead series about the topic at hand. Why don't I go into detail? Like this place in general, that seems like a tremendous waste of time. So I'd much rather just waste your time and bluntly state my point rather than defending it (to deaf ears, no doubt. Not that it's a point really worth defending anyway given the current state of the world.)

Limping Lucy
07-25-2006, 05:48 AM
It didn't "suck hard," but yes, it probably is the most overrated comic book ever. I mean, people tend to throw out Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen as the best books of the medium, but DKR isn't even close to Watchmen's quality. From that era, Miller's Year One, Daredevil and Elektra stories are better.
That's precisely what I meant. I read DKR almost right after I read "Watchmen." My reaction was: whaaa? There are elements of DKR I like...the mood and atmosphere, etc...but in terms of plot and character it simply didn't draw me in like Watchmen did.

matlokheed
07-25-2006, 06:45 AM
I disagree sir. At the very very least, the characterizations off all the bat people is spot on perfect.I think this is a strange statement as there weren't many bat people in the book. And he was a caricature of Batman (just like Superman was a caricature of Superman in DKR). I'm also not sure I buy Batman leading a gang of thugs and mutants into battle.

I actually agree that DKR is overrated. It's parody that takes itself seriously.

Nobby
07-25-2006, 09:36 AM
I forget. Is Dark Knight Returns the sequel? I liked the Dark Knight graphic novels and I even liked the follow up sequel which many didn't like.

matlokheed
07-25-2006, 09:41 AM
I forget. Is Dark Knight Returns the sequel? I liked the Dark Knight graphic novels and I even liked the follow up sequel which many didn't like.Returns is the original. Strikes Back/Strikes Again is the sequel.

Superdog
07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
I think this is a strange statement as there weren't many bat people in the book. And he was a caricature of Batman (just like Superman was a caricature of Superman in DKR). I'm also not sure I buy Batman leading a gang of thugs and mutants into battle.

I actually agree that DKR is overrated. It's parody that takes itself seriously. I meant Bat people as Batman and all his supporting characters. Batman, Gordon, old Catowman, Joker, Two face. Amd despite his avowed dislike of Superman, Supes is pretty cool, too.

Superdog
07-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I mean, people tend to throw out Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen as the best books of the medium, but DKR isn't even close to Watchmen's quality.This is very true.

ZzombieX
07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
You may not be familiar with me, but I've been posting on this forum for a long time...under a different name, and while I may state something in a trollish manner, I am almost always dead series about the topic at hand. Why don't I go into detail? Like this place in general, that seems like a tremendous waste of time. So I'd much rather just waste your time and bluntly state my point rather than defending it (to deaf ears, no doubt. Not that it's a point really worth defending anyway given the current state of the world.)So you're an alt and you still refuse to back up your opinion? You're not helping your "i'm not a troll" argument.

Coch Metel Galanas
08-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I liked the Dark Knight Returns storyline but I have never been a fan of Frank Miller's artwork (except for Sin City). I just find it pretty damned fugly.

Red
08-10-2006, 03:04 AM
Miller's stupid interpretation of Superman aside, it's a fantastic book.

ggfunk
08-10-2006, 03:32 AM
Miller's stupid interpretation of Superman aside, it's a fantastic book.
:rolleyes::p:D

The One
08-11-2006, 10:01 PM
It deserves the praise, the storytelling and pacing is fantastic. But it is not the best comic ever, that's for sure.

Predalien
08-11-2006, 10:07 PM
It was good but I liked
http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/1563894696.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
better.
Maybe because TDKR just seemed like sin city, but with batman.