PDA

View Full Version : Tales From Earthsea screening: first impressions

Oddbody -[AS2]-
07-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Studio Ghibli's latest is being released in Japan on saturday. Here's a short spoiler-free preview from a press screening.

http://jasongray.blogspot.com/2006/07/tales-from-earthsea-screening.html

Went out to the Ghibli offices today to catch a subtitled press/industry screening of Tales from Earthsea (Gedo Senki,『ゲド戦記』), which will be released this coming Saturday across Japan. Unfortunately I don't have time to write a proper review, but I can say that I was quite impressed with Miyazaki Goro's directorial debut. I think in some ways he may have overextended himself in his first outing, but the film definitely has the Ghibli hallmarks of quality. If audiences don't expect it to be Miyazaki's Hayao's latest creation, I think they will be pleasantly surprised.

Made in approximately half the time of either Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle, the film perhaps recalls some of the earlier Miyazaki works. There is some excellent use of light and shadow, which is a running theme in the story. The character designs are simple but effective. I especially liked the evil wizard Cob, excellently voiced by Tanaka Yűko. Sugawara Bunta is of course no slouch in the vocal department either, lending a gravity to Ged (who's only called by his real name once in the film, usually referred to as Haitaka, "Sparrowhawk") . In fact all the voice casting is strong. The film manages to be both epic and personal at the same time. On the negative side, I felt the story was thin in several respects, and emotions sometimes felt dictated. The bombastic orchestrated score was somewhat overused, but the theme song (sung by Teshima Aoi, who voices female lead Therru) was affecting.

Matt
07-31-2006, 03:18 PM
I'd really like to know if it follows the books at all. The Earthsea Trilogy is one of my all time favorite series. I saw the preview for this film awhile ago and thought it looked a lot like Nausica, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the post!

-Matt

coolerimmortal
08-05-2006, 08:28 PM
I can't wait to see it. It looks fantastic.

Steve Brandon
08-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Anime News Network's Daniel DeLorme just gave it a mixed review (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=1026).

Seeing as how straightforward fantasy epics without Lina Inverse involved somehow aren't really my bag, I haven't been particularly impressed with the trailers I've seen.

Hazelrabbit2006
08-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I can't wait either