PDA

View Full Version : Watching Rahxephon for the first time

ZzombieX
08-08-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm only two episodes in so far, but it's really not grooving with me. If it's anywhere near as good as people make it out to be, i'm sure i'll like it by the end, but it's not off to a good start. What's really bothering me is that it's such a shameless Evangelion clone. The fact that it seems so pale in comparison is making it difficult to enjoy on its own merits. Almost like it's trying too hard sometimes.

Still, i'm not the type to give up that easily. I'll stick through to the end, and hopefully it'll find it's own little groove and click with me. I imagine that the Eva emulation will only continue until it gets its own steam going.

How do people around here feel about this series?

GundamRT
08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I absolutely love RahXephon, although it does have some noticeable flaws. It does have a lot of similarities to Evangelion, but the storylines are dissimilar enough that I never got a feeling of "rip-off" from it.

coolerimmortal
08-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Rahxephon is quite a bit better than Evangelion. It's a masterpiece.

ZzombieX
08-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Rahxephon is quite a bit better than Evangelion. It's a masterpiece.Not yet. But we'll see.

Morox
08-09-2006, 05:19 AM
I'll quote you from my thread ZzombieX.

"Nah, coolerimmortal is right. That's like watching the first 15 minutes of a movie, and then turning it off and saying it sucks. And with a lot of anime, the heavy plot development doesn't start kicking in until the later episodes."

ZzombieX
08-09-2006, 07:01 AM
I'll quote you from my thread ZzombieX.

"Nah, coolerimmortal is right. That's like watching the first 15 minutes of a movie, and then turning it off and saying it sucks. And with a lot of anime, the heavy plot development doesn't start kicking in until the later episodes."And i'll quote myself from this thread.

"Still, i'm not the type to give up that easily. I'll stick through to the end, and hopefully it'll find it's own little groove and click with me. I imagine that the Eva emulation will only continue until it gets its own steam going."

Giving impressions as I go. And I fully expect it to pick up later.

andarsoninflame
08-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Rahxephon is quite a bit better than Evangelion. It's a masterpiece.agree

Ayato
08-10-2006, 06:15 PM
The first few episodes are kinda underwhelming, but around episode 5 or so it really starts to get interesting. Thatís how it was for me anyway. I wouldn't say itís as good as Eva, but its still one of my favorites.

ZzombieX
08-10-2006, 08:31 PM
The first few episodes are kinda underwhelming, but around episode 5 or so it really starts to get interesting. Thatís how it was for me anyway. I wouldn't say itís as good as Eva, but its still one of my favorites.Can't wait. I haven't had a chance to watch anymore lately, but I should be watching a chunk of it tomorrow.

ZzombieX
08-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Okay, updated impressions after watching the first 13 episodes... so i'm halfway through.

The show is getting much better, but it definitely tries way too hard to be like Evangelion. Still, the storyline is progressing at an interesting pace, and i'm really liking most of the characters. I do wish they had spent more of the earlier episodes focusing on laid back stories with the characters, though. I'm also not really digging the action scenes, but they're getting better.

Overall, i'm certainly enjoying it. Can't wait to finish the whole thing.

GundamRT
08-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Glad to see you're enjoying it so far. :up:

ZzombieX
08-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Finally finished the series today. Overall, i'd say it was a quality work with an interesting story that never felt predictable. I didn't like it nearly as much as Evangelion, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I felt that it really peaked towards the middle of the series and fell off a lot by the end, though. The conclusion to the story didn't really create much of a dramatic effect for me, which disappointed me because they really went all out with the ending. Something about it just felt kind of flat, and I felt nothing for the characters... partly I think because they were mostly underdeveloped. The action and music overall were pretty disappointing as well, though they improved as the series progressed.

In the end, I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece... but it was enjoyable enough that i'm glad I watched it. :up:

Oh, and one question. I skimmed through the Rahxephon movie and it just seemed to be a kind of retelling of the series... is that all it is? Any new content?

coolerimmortal
08-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Oh, and one question. I skimmed through the Rahxephon movie and it just seemed to be a kind of retelling of the series... is that all it is? Any new content?
I hear there's a little new stuff, but not enough to make it worth watching.

GundamRT
08-20-2006, 09:14 PM
The movie version's prologue is completely new material, and the epilogue is different as well. It's about 75% recycled material and 25% new stuff, and is worth checking out for a new perspective on the story, as it makes some significant changes and directly answers questions that the anime either leaves unanswered or only answers vaguely.