PDA

View Full Version : I defend Once Piece to the DEATH

Beyonce 3000
09-04-2006, 07:50 AM
1. If you've only seen it on Cartoon Network or Fox.. don't bother me.. Let's be clear, I'm not a fan of saying, "they murder it in translation" or "they edited it to death", but in the case of One Piece, it is TRUE, TRUE, TRUE.
They de-fang that series SO badly it's almost like vandalism. The voice-overs (and I'm not a big fan of complaining about voice overs, either) are HORRRRRIBLE. Very rarely do I see what the fuss is over a voice-over but the One Piece voice overs for American TV are incredibly stupid. It turns luffy into a stupid kid, Sanji into a dullard from Brooklyn... I'm sick of hearing them say, "ZOLO"... Sure, japanese people don't say "Zorro" very well, but to be honest, they call him "ZOLO" in the american show because of copyright laws..

Let's not talk about the opening song. A RAP??

The cartoon network/fox version is not even the same damn show in the end. It can't be understated.

NOW..

The real deal:

One Piece is one of the single greatest long-running series of anime history. It is my personal second favorite behind the original two Dragonball series.

Monkey D. Luffy is one of the most interesting heroes in Anime. PERIOD. He's also one of the strongest.

(note: I'm running out of caffeine so my post will get real weak from here out..)

In case you've never seen the japanese version, here's what you can expect:

1. BLOOD. Lots and lots of BLOOD. The deaths are sketchy. They make it hard to tell when a character is dead or just beaten. There are plenty of deaths, to be sure, but they are fairly ambigious about it. For example, I thought Bellamy was dead and he reappears a few eps later (only to seemingly die again, a MUCH bloodier death).

But the point is, BLOOD. LOTS OF BLOOD. It flows like water in this show. Not a selling point, per se, but a stark reminder of how sanitized the American version is and how cutesy One Piece isn't (at times)

2. Originality of Design. The world of One Piece is as unique as the universe of Dragonball/Z. It has it's own animals, physics, inventions, landscape, government.. it's not really earth and it is gorgeous. They bop around from island to island and the amount of uniqueness of each island is a stunning tribute to great design. The houses, the clothing of the people, the weapons... so varied it's mind boggling.

3. Great art. The best anime to me has a graphic/graffiti quality. The characters of One Piece make for awesome graphic design. The detail and color work is top notch. The tiny bit of cgi is delicious.

4. FUNNY. The sex jokes, the japanese slapstick, the puns, the massive tempo changes, non-sequiters, misunderstandings.... This show is at times, freaking laugh out loud hilarious. I can't site any massive examples this early but there is a scene where a pirate captain is trudging through a cave with his underlings warning them of how booby traps can take their lives at any moment if they are not careful. All of a sudden, lights come on and a crew of enthusiastic (japanese cliche) workers come in and start their merry devotion to HARD WORK! "Nothing is BETTER than digging tunnels!!!!".. So they mistake these obvious freaks of pirates for new digging crew. The camera blinks and the pirates are using picks to break rocks and the captain is all, "YEAH, BOSS, NOTHING IS BETTER THAN WORKING UP A SWEAT BREAKING ROCKS!!!!!! LATER WE'LL HAVE DRINKS!!".. and then seconds later, he realizes.. "wtf??" Then blows everyone up, pissed off that he somehow got swept away in the moment..

like I said, not a great argument, but trust me, this is one of the funniest shows ever

5. FIGHT SCENES. When they are stupid, they are fun.. when they are for real.. they are BADDASSS. The fights are usually silly and clever for most of a story arc and then you get the showdown where almost every character shows their true strength. The development of the characters is at it's best during the finale fights. Characters you might not have liked for multiple eps all of a sudden come to life under pressure. I won't give it away but at least 4 main characters I thought were useless snap out of it in various fights to kick major ***. The absolute best fights are during the Arabasta story arc when the Straw Hat Pirates take down the top ranking officers in Baroque Works. There is no "especially" because all the fights were classic. I will give a special prize to Nami and Zorro. Watching Nami kick *** was both funny and exciting.

Luffy fight scenes however, the serious ones are a sight to behold. He may be a doofus, but he just might be the toughest bastard on the grand line. His ability usually is on auto-pilot. 7 times out of 10, he doesn't even know what's going on, you just can't hit him... 1 time out of ten, he'll take the shot because he's too dumb to move.. 1 time out of ten he'll get into a fight for the sheer joy and we get mixed results of comedy and pure classic battle action... But that last 1 time out of ten when he's made up his mind to kill you.. man... it's like a whole different character. Everything goes dark under his hat and he is quite vicious and on point with his attacks. In addition, you get to see that he is IMPOSSIBLY strong. He punches through "invincible" armor, grabs an entire warship and swings it like toy into another warship.. throws 12 10-ton spikes over his shoulder like tossing a piece of paper and impales 3 pursuing warships... (totally unaware that he did it, btw)

I could go on.

6. Story. This show evolves like few other shows. We see character after character join the crew, join the broader story of the quest to be the greatest pirate, join the other broad story of the Grand Line/world government.. and we see the bit part players join in and reappear every so often to serve as teasers for later story arcs and the broad story.

Basically, Luffy was a kid who idolized a pirate named Shanks. Shanks seems ordinary until he loses his arm saving Luffy from a Sea King (a sea king is any of the MONSTEROUS sized sea snakes, fish or other sea creature.. think Mothra sized...) Shanks scares away the creature with a dirty look. There are other minor clues to how tough Shanks and crew are throughout the show...

Anyway, Luffy gets his hat from Shanks and vows to become a pirate. His take on piracy is just to have fun and be baddasss. He doesn't care much about gold or plunder, just fun and adventure.

One by one, he assembles a tiny crew of reluctant experts in various fields. None of them want to be pirates (except Ussop) but all agree to join him based on his strength and charisma and single minded devotion to his friends.

Being a pirate is of course illegal and they spend a great deal of time being chased by the Marines (Navy + Soldiers rolled into one police force entity). Marines, like the pirates they meet come in three varieties.. regular dudes (they get waxed by the dozens in some scenes), STRONG dudes (usually have some distinguishing uniform, hair or other stylish feature and don't go down easy) and Magically strong - either from eating the Devil Fruit or just one of the whimsical elements of the show that states some characters are just born with freaky power.

Some of the Marin-heavy story arcs are totally the best. In fact, some of my favorite side-stories are exclusively Marine

Filler? Nope. There are several side-stories and many eps where a single character has a single adventure or flashback ep, but no filler in the way that we've come to know filler.. Bleach, Naruto, etc... Like dragonball, the single serving eps can be quite classic in their own right.

Having said that certain story arcs can be annoying at first view.. and certain eps are too cute for me (Chopper heavy eps, ESPECIALLY when other animals are involved)

But, now that my coffee is all gone and my brain is too tired to type.. It can be said that the main story premise, becoming King of The Pirates/The World Government-marine Headquarters is worth watching 300 eps for. Few shows can say that watching 300 eps was worth it.

I'm tired and I will say it again:

I'll defend this series to the death.

Perhaps when I check back in a few weeks, I'll be more coherent and can argue for this masterpiece with a little more clarity.

coolerimmortal
09-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm not much of a fan (too damn formulaic for my tastes), but it has a huge following...

Oldboy Bebop
09-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Glad to see you are so passionate about this... it still sucks.

DarkRival
09-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't care for it, but like cooler said, it has a pretty big fanbase. Oh and that rap song on the American opening is the worst theme song for any anime I've heard.

Drummers02
09-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Glad to see you are so passionate about this... it still sucks.

HAHAHAHAHAHA :D :fresh:

Galactus
09-07-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't get One Piece.

crossouttheD
09-07-2006, 10:59 PM
1. If you've only seen it on Cartoon Network or Fox.. don't bother me.. Let's be clear, I'm not a fan of saying, "they murder it in translation" or "they edited it to death", but in the case of One Piece, it is TRUE, TRUE, TRUE.
They de-fang that series SO badly it's almost like vandalism. The voice-overs (and I'm not a big fan of complaining about voice overs, either) are HORRRRRIBLE. Very rarely do I see what the fuss is over a voice-over but the One Piece voice overs for American TV are incredibly stupid. It turns luffy into a stupid kid, Sanji into a dullard from Brooklyn... I'm sick of hearing them say, "ZOLO"... Sure, japanese people don't say "Zorro" very well, but to be honest, they call him "ZOLO" in the american show because of copyright laws..

Let's not talk about the opening song. A RAP??

The cartoon network/fox version is not even the same damn show in the end. It can't be understated.

NOW..

The real deal:

One Piece is one of the single greatest long-running series of anime history. It is my personal second favorite behind the original two Dragonball series.

Monkey D. Luffy is one of the most interesting heroes in Anime. PERIOD. He's also one of the strongest.

(note: I'm running out of caffeine so my post will get real weak from here out..)

In case you've never seen the japanese version, here's what you can expect:

1. BLOOD. Lots and lots of BLOOD. The deaths are sketchy. They make it hard to tell when a character is dead or just beaten. There are plenty of deaths, to be sure, but they are fairly ambigious about it. For example, I thought Bellamy was dead and he reappears a few eps later (only to seemingly die again, a MUCH bloodier death).

But the point is, BLOOD. LOTS OF BLOOD. It flows like water in this show. Not a selling point, per se, but a stark reminder of how sanitized the American version is and how cutesy One Piece isn't (at times)

2. Originality of Design. The world of One Piece is as unique as the universe of Dragonball/Z. It has it's own animals, physics, inventions, landscape, government.. it's not really earth and it is gorgeous. They bop around from island to island and the amount of uniqueness of each island is a stunning tribute to great design. The houses, the clothing of the people, the weapons... so varied it's mind boggling.

3. Great art. The best anime to me has a graphic/graffiti quality. The characters of One Piece make for awesome graphic design. The detail and color work is top notch. The tiny bit of cgi is delicious.

4. FUNNY. The sex jokes, the japanese slapstick, the puns, the massive tempo changes, non-sequiters, misunderstandings.... This show is at times, freaking laugh out loud hilarious. I can't site any massive examples this early but there is a scene where a pirate captain is trudging through a cave with his underlings warning them of how booby traps can take their lives at any moment if they are not careful. All of a sudden, lights come on and a crew of enthusiastic (japanese cliche) workers come in and start their merry devotion to HARD WORK! "Nothing is BETTER than digging tunnels!!!!".. So they mistake these obvious freaks of pirates for new digging crew. The camera blinks and the pirates are using picks to break rocks and the captain is all, "YEAH, BOSS, NOTHING IS BETTER THAN WORKING UP A SWEAT BREAKING ROCKS!!!!!! LATER WE'LL HAVE DRINKS!!".. and then seconds later, he realizes.. "wtf??" Then blows everyone up, pissed off that he somehow got swept away in the moment..

like I said, not a great argument, but trust me, this is one of the funniest shows ever

5. FIGHT SCENES. When they are stupid, they are fun.. when they are for real.. they are BADDASSS. The fights are usually silly and clever for most of a story arc and then you get the showdown where almost every character shows their true strength. The development of the characters is at it's best during the finale fights. Characters you might not have liked for multiple eps all of a sudden come to life under pressure. I won't give it away but at least 4 main characters I thought were useless snap out of it in various fights to kick major ***. The absolute best fights are during the Arabasta story arc when the Straw Hat Pirates take down the top ranking officers in Baroque Works. There is no "especially" because all the fights were classic. I will give a special prize to Nami and Zorro. Watching Nami kick *** was both funny and exciting.

Luffy fight scenes however, the serious ones are a sight to behold. He may be a doofus, but he just might be the toughest bastard on the grand line. His ability usually is on auto-pilot. 7 times out of 10, he doesn't even know what's going on, you just can't hit him... 1 time out of ten, he'll take the shot because he's too dumb to move.. 1 time out of ten he'll get into a fight for the sheer joy and we get mixed results of comedy and pure classic battle action... But that last 1 time out of ten when he's made up his mind to kill you.. man... it's like a whole different character. Everything goes dark under his hat and he is quite vicious and on point with his attacks. In addition, you get to see that he is IMPOSSIBLY strong. He punches through "invincible" armor, grabs an entire warship and swings it like toy into another warship.. throws 12 10-ton spikes over his shoulder like tossing a piece of paper and impales 3 pursuing warships... (totally unaware that he did it, btw)

I could go on.

6. Story. This show evolves like few other shows. We see character after character join the crew, join the broader story of the quest to be the greatest pirate, join the other broad story of the Grand Line/world government.. and we see the bit part players join in and reappear every so often to serve as teasers for later story arcs and the broad story.

Basically, Luffy was a kid who idolized a pirate named Shanks. Shanks seems ordinary until he loses his arm saving Luffy from a Sea King (a sea king is any of the MONSTEROUS sized sea snakes, fish or other sea creature.. think Mothra sized...) Shanks scares away the creature with a dirty look. There are other minor clues to how tough Shanks and crew are throughout the show...

Anyway, Luffy gets his hat from Shanks and vows to become a pirate. His take on piracy is just to have fun and be baddasss. He doesn't care much about gold or plunder, just fun and adventure.

One by one, he assembles a tiny crew of reluctant experts in various fields. None of them want to be pirates (except Ussop) but all agree to join him based on his strength and charisma and single minded devotion to his friends.

Being a pirate is of course illegal and they spend a great deal of time being chased by the Marines (Navy + Soldiers rolled into one police force entity). Marines, like the pirates they meet come in three varieties.. regular dudes (they get waxed by the dozens in some scenes), STRONG dudes (usually have some distinguishing uniform, hair or other stylish feature and don't go down easy) and Magically strong - either from eating the Devil Fruit or just one of the whimsical elements of the show that states some characters are just born with freaky power.

Some of the Marin-heavy story arcs are totally the best. In fact, some of my favorite side-stories are exclusively Marine

Filler? Nope. There are several side-stories and many eps where a single character has a single adventure or flashback ep, but no filler in the way that we've come to know filler.. Bleach, Naruto, etc... Like dragonball, the single serving eps can be quite classic in their own right.

Having said that certain story arcs can be annoying at first view.. and certain eps are too cute for me (Chopper heavy eps, ESPECIALLY when other animals are involved)

But, now that my coffee is all gone and my brain is too tired to type.. It can be said that the main story premise, becoming King of The Pirates/The World Government-marine Headquarters is worth watching 300 eps for. Few shows can say that watching 300 eps was worth it.

I'm tired and I will say it again:

I'll defend this series to the death.

Perhaps when I check back in a few weeks, I'll be more coherent and can argue for this masterpiece with a little more clarity.
I know how One Piece can live again, give it a new name! Like, One Piece Of Crap.

Beyonce 3000
09-09-2006, 05:48 AM
200+ eps, people. Maybe you should download a few before you talk ****.

I can't even be bothered to deal with anyone who has never watched the original Japanese version. Telling me about the "rap" means you have only seen the 4 Kids version.

Formula? Yes. But it is inventive enough from ep to ep, arc to arc to keep you coming back and guessing.

And as far as getting One Piece, it takes a while. The first time I saw it was at an anime con and I didn't see what the big deal about this silly kids show about a guy with rubber arms was about. It was the first one piece movie...

But that was the con I saw Naruto, Samurai 7 and a bunch of other new shows at so I asked my geek (everyone needs to have a geek on the payroll) to download me every ep of all the shows at the con. Well, he went above and beyond the call with One Piece, which, I really didn't even want, but threw in anyway.

Like a lot of anime, it took over a dozen eps to get into it. In fact, somewhere into the 20s is when it kicked in. You CANNOT come into this anime in the middle and you have to sit through the first 20 eps before it grows on you, but come on.... how many anime long series' have been like that??

Naruto, although cool doesn't really grab you until the Chuunin exam..

Bleach is stupid for the first like, 12 eps..

One Piece is on it's 5th movie and I'm a grown freaking man... Let's give it a try. Hell, give me the benefit of the doubt. I don't watch crap. (that often).

Once you get into the deeper fight scenes, you'll get the picture. Hell, it rocks if only for the comedy. But I'm a sucker for sex jokes in anime.

crossouttheD
09-09-2006, 03:09 PM
200+ eps, people. Maybe you should download a few before you talk ****.

I can't even be bothered to deal with anyone who has never watched the original Japanese version. Telling me about the "rap" means you have only seen the 4 Kids version.

Formula? Yes. But it is inventive enough from ep to ep, arc to arc to keep you coming back and guessing.

And as far as getting One Piece, it takes a while. The first time I saw it was at an anime con and I didn't see what the big deal about this silly kids show about a guy with rubber arms was about. It was the first one piece movie...

But that was the con I saw Naruto, Samurai 7 and a bunch of other new shows at so I asked my geek (everyone needs to have a geek on the payroll) to download me every ep of all the shows at the con. Well, he went above and beyond the call with One Piece, which, I really didn't even want, but threw in anyway.

Like a lot of anime, it took over a dozen eps to get into it. In fact, somewhere into the 20s is when it kicked in. You CANNOT come into this anime in the middle and you have to sit through the first 20 eps before it grows on you, but come on.... how many anime long series' have been like that??

Naruto, although cool doesn't really grab you until the Chuunin exam..

Bleach is stupid for the first like, 12 eps..

One Piece is on it's 5th movie and I'm a grown freaking man... Let's give it a try. Hell, give me the benefit of the doubt. I don't watch crap. (that often).

Once you get into the deeper fight scenes, you'll get the picture. Hell, it rocks if only for the comedy. But I'm a sucker for sex jokes in anime.
When i was your tender young age i liked a anime show that i defended to death aswell, Dragonball Z. I always said to people, "They cut all the stuff out of Dragonball Z and now it's a kid's show, blah,blah,blah." Either which way, a cartoon is a cartoon, it's usually meant for kids unless it's a anime-movie. I still hold Dragonball Z in my heart, always waiting for that day when either a decent Dragonball Z game comes out or a decent Dragonball Z movie is released. I don't care what anyone says and neither should you. Thank you.

Beyonce 3000
09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
When i was your tender young age i liked a anime show that i defended to death aswell, Dragonball Z. I always said to people, "They cut all the stuff out of Dragonball Z and now it's a kid's show, blah,blah,blah." Either which way, a cartoon is a cartoon, it's usually meant for kids unless it's a anime-movie. I still hold Dragonball Z in my heart, always waiting for that day when either a decent Dragonball Z game comes out or a decent Dragonball Z movie is released. I don't care what anyone says and neither should you. Thank you.
At the peak of the first wave of DBZ mania in the US, I remember all the threads saying, "Dragonball Z is NOT real anime..." People still living under the spell of the popular shows at the time.

I even ignored it because the art wasn't what I was used to in anime. Having seen every ep of DBZ and GT and nearly every ep of DB I can say that it is the one long running series greater than One Piece.

It is just a cartoon in the end, but it suits all the reasons we like anime, grittier, bloodier, funnier, raunchier... Dragonball was murdered by cartoon network. The original show was so friggin' sex filled, it was half the fun of watching it. When kid Goku touches Bulma's naked cootch in the bathtub.. man, you'll never see even a glimpse of that scene on tv.

It sucks to take heat based on the CN version. It really is sad to see Captain Smoker have his name changed to Captain Chaser and the smoke from his mouth made into CGI steam and the cigar edited so that his mouth is now permanently open with his teeth showing..... ****ing Sanji sucks a LOLLIPOP? Rootbeer... Just lame. Whole episodes disapear from the CN version. I mean, without explaination, the timeline just jumps ep after ep.

Risking another round of flame, I suggest people who love fight anime and steam-punk flavored anime as well as great comedy to go to their favorite bittorent site and grab huge blocks of eps and just smoke a bowl and watch.

The voice acting is EXCELLENT, the jokes come fast and furry and the fights are amazing when they heat up. Luffy and Goku have a lot in common. Both are dumb as turd and both are unstoppable when the stakes go up a notch.

Long Live One Piece.

crossouttheD
09-10-2006, 06:28 PM
At the peak of the first wave of DBZ mania in the US, I remember all the threads saying, "Dragonball Z is NOT real anime..." People still living under the spell of the popular shows at the time.

I even ignored it because the art wasn't what I was used to in anime. Having seen every ep of DBZ and GT and nearly every ep of DB I can say that it is the one long running series greater than One Piece.

It is just a cartoon in the end, but it suits all the reasons we like anime, grittier, bloodier, funnier, raunchier... Dragonball was murdered by cartoon network. The original show was so friggin' sex filled, it was half the fun of watching it. When kid Goku touches Bulma's naked cootch in the bathtub.. man, you'll never see even a glimpse of that scene on tv.

It sucks to take heat based on the CN version. It really is sad to see Captain Smoker have his name changed to Captain Chaser and the smoke from his mouth made into CGI steam and the cigar edited so that his mouth is now permanently open with his teeth showing..... ****ing Sanji sucks a LOLLIPOP? Rootbeer... Just lame. Whole episodes disapear from the CN version. I mean, without explaination, the timeline just jumps ep after ep.

Risking another round of flame, I suggest people who love fight anime and steam-punk flavored anime as well as great comedy to go to their favorite bittorent site and grab huge blocks of eps and just smoke a bowl and watch.

The voice acting is EXCELLENT, the jokes come fast and furry and the fights are amazing when they heat up. Luffy and Goku have a lot in common. Both are dumb as turd and both are unstoppable when the stakes go up a notch.

Long Live One Piece.
That does suck how they edit out everything, like the time when Vegeta arm sliced someone. They edited out the torso splitting and the blood and guts coming out. Not to mention when Vegeta curses. I have never seen One Piece and i automatically assumed that it sucked. Sorry for being a jerk. You have a pretty good opinion on things. I'll check out One Piece and i'll play the game when it comes out on the Nintendo Wii.

Jaiga
09-29-2006, 11:00 PM
One Piece is one of my favorite shows. My reasons for liking it may be slightly different from yours, but the result is the same. I honestly don't think I could be the kind of optimistic guy that I am and still somehow not enjoy the grand adventures of the Going Merry.

And if you try watching this show and don't even crack a smile for Tony Tony Chopper, then it's highly probable your mortal soul has been consumed by Dick Cheney.

http://homepage.mac.com/jholbo/nutwork/images/Cheney%2C%20Dick.jpg

Detrimental
02-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I've been reading the manga, and I must say it's probably better than Naruto.

David Moore
02-02-2009, 08:32 PM
It is my personal second favorite behind the original two Dragonball series.I stopped reading after this.

Tezuka
02-03-2009, 12:57 PM
one piece is my 2nd favorite anime i only watch the english dubs because the english version ruins every friggin' conversation

MEITTI
02-03-2009, 03:41 PM
It has some casual jokes which are actually funny, and it is surprisingly violent when it comes to that. Watchable series, and quite weird one, still not on my favorite lists but mainly because of my own preferances.