PDA

View Full Version : So my roommate tells me the simpsons is anime...

MatrixFan101
09-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Alright guys, don't ask how the conversation came up but my roommate seems to think that anime is another way of saying something is animated. Included with the Simpsons, he said that Family Guy is anime as well. Can you guys clear this up for him?

Steve Brandon
09-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Well, in Japan, all cartoons are called "anime", but, in English, the generally-accepted usage is just for cartoons animated in Japan for a Japanese audience (yes, I know most of the in-between animation work for anime is done in Korea or the Philippines these days).

Some people, even around these parts, use "anime" for any kind of animation that has some kind of stylistic resemblance to anime, regardless of origin, but, even if you accept that broader definition, I don't see how the Simpsons fits into it.

Vienna
09-07-2006, 10:28 PM
So, if your roommate is Japanese and thinks of all animation as anime, he's right.

If he's not, he's wrong. Tell him anime is animation made for Japanese audiences. Content doesn't matter.

xyxhrhynne
09-08-2006, 06:44 PM
A lot of people consider all forms of "adult" animation to be anime... it's not completely invalid. Either way, it's really just a word, even if it usually means the asian variety... also, keep in mind it isn't only Japanese. There is also a lot of Chinese animation, which is similar enough in style to be considered the same genre.

Dark neo_wolf
09-08-2006, 07:40 PM
T.V toho japan listed the top 50 anime series of alltime as picked by the public, Tom and Jerry made that list.

MatrixFan101
09-09-2006, 03:48 PM
T.V toho japan listed the top 50 anime series of alltime as picked by the public, Tom and Jerry made that list.

tell me you're not serious....

and on a side note, my roommate is from chicago, not japan unfortunately.

Dark neo_wolf
09-09-2006, 04:35 PM
tell me you're not serious....

Its true.

MatrixFan101
09-10-2006, 06:40 PM
where can i find this list? did looney toons make the list as well?

also my roommate says that the quesion of whether or not the simpsons is anime is an opinion, not a fact

what has become of our nation's youth?

sin2x
09-11-2006, 04:53 AM
where can i find this list? did looney toons make the list as well?

also my roommate says that the quesion of whether or not the simpsons is anime is an opinion, not a fact

what has become of our nation's youth?this is not true , i am sure of it

whackedman
09-17-2006, 01:21 PM
There is also a lot of Chinese animation, which is similar enough in style to be considered the same genre.
One could argue that the culture behind the animation is integral to the genre. American cartoons try and copy the style too, but it's just not the same.

Jaiga
09-18-2006, 12:08 AM
There is also a lot of Chinese animation, which is similar enough in style to be considered the same genre.One could argue that the culture behind the animation is integral to the genre. American cartoons try and copy the style too, but it's just not the same.*sigh* Here's two I won't be inviting to tea and crumpets. :(

Edit: Aw, what the heck. Everyone's welcome. :D

samus is hot
09-27-2006, 05:39 AM
So, if your roommate is Japanese and thinks of all animation as anime, he's right.

If he's not, he's wrong. Tell him anime is animation made for Japanese audiences. Content doesn't matter.
yea simpsons is american stuff not japanese people takin 5 hours just to charge up to go super saiyan

coolerimmortal
09-29-2006, 04:44 PM
yea simpsons is american stuff not japanese people takin 5 hours just to charge up to go super saiyan...

Yeah. Fail. Moving on...