Forums

Forums (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Singer in Lounge in Pillow Talk (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=132159)

BethBenson 02-17-2002 06:28 PM

Singer in Lounge in Pillow Talk

I am interested to know the name of the African-American female singer in "The Hidden Door" lounge in Pillow Talk.

She sings a song called "Roly Poly" and one called "You Lied" but I do not know her name.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Laine007 01-30-2003 10:10 PM

Singer in Lounge in Pillow Talk

The name of the singer in the lounge is Perry Blackwell. I looked for it for quite some time before before I found it.

oliverpenn 06-08-2007 02:47 PM

Perry Blackwell

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laine007
The name of the singer in the lounge is Perry Blackwell. I looked for it for quite some time before before I found it.

Perry Blackwell was a well-known lounge performer in Los Angeles at the time she was cast in "Pillow Talk." She and her drummer, Kenneth Davis, who was married to jazz singer, Nancy Wilson, also appeared in Bette Davis' horror thriller, "Dead Ringer" in 1964.

I've tried to find out more info on Ms. Blackwell, to no avail.

RonE L. 01-26-2009 04:54 PM

Singer in the Lounge is.............

Her name is Perri Lee aka Perry Lee Blackwell, she was also in the
1960 original Dead Ringer movie with Betty Davis and Karl Malden.

I am her daughter and I am attempting to get a Biography for her referenced to these 2 movies and also her recording albums. My Mom is a classically trained Pianist and self taught organist. She played Hammond Organ for years. Also she played with a few of the Cats, i.e. Sonny Stitt, Wes Montgomery Bros. of whom Wes is the most famous, Roy Milton, Louis Jordan in later years not when he was famous.

She worked many gigs around such people as Nancy Wilson, Areatha Franklin, Quincy Jones, Jow Williams, Freddie Hubbard, Jackie Wilson, Red Foxx.

She worked on the New York jazz scence for a few years, Best known for her 7 year stint at The Parisian Room in Los Angeles and her fantastic wigs. Currently lives in AZ. w/daughter RonE Lee she is 83 years old.
Currently a piano teacher occasionally.

RonE L. 01-26-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverpenn
Perry Blackwell was a well-known lounge performer in Los Angeles at the time she was cast in "Pillow Talk." She and her drummer, Kenneth Davis, who was married to jazz singer, Nancy Wilson, also appeared in Bette Davis' horror thriller, "Dead Ringer" in 1964.

I've tried to find out more info on Ms. Blackwell, to no avail.

correction it is Kenny Dennis not Davis. They were not a duo, they performed together in that movie only. Are you able to assist me in getting her biography on the internet???

Laure C. 01-30-2009 02:00 PM

I just happened to think of her today singing the song "You Lied" in the movie "Pillow Talk". I found a video of her singing "Roly Poly" at

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/do...oly/2262550723

Click on the large video with the orange circle and it will take you to another window. It's a site that's in another language but just wait and you'll see her face. It is slow but you will eventually see her along with Doris Day and Rock Hudson singing together. I loved it when she sang the "You Lied" and gave Rock Hudson a LOOK.

Great singer and piano player. I haven't found much about her on the Web but if I do I'll let you know.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonE L.

I am her daughter and I am attempting to get a Biography for her referenced to these 2 movies and also her recording albums. My Mom is a classically trained Pianist and self taught organist. She played Hammond Organ for years. Also she played with a few of the Cats, i.e. Sonny Stitt, Wes Montgomery Bros. of whom Wes is the most famous, Roy Milton, Louis Jordan in later years not when he was famous.

She worked many gigs around such people as Nancy Wilson, Areatha Franklin, Quincy Jones, Jow Williams, Freddie Hubbard, Jackie Wilson, Red Foxx.

She worked on the New York jazz scence for a few years, Best known for her 7 year stint at The Parisian Room in Los Angeles and her fantastic wigs. Currently lives in AZ. w/daughter RonE Lee she is 83 years old.

RonE L. 02-01-2009 05:26 PM

RonE Lee here:

Perri Lee's youngest daughter at 59, Thank You very much. My Mom turns 84 on Feb 13, 2009. Yes she was born on Friday the 13th, of which my grandmother said, "it was a good day for me to get rid of a large load." So much for superstition. :up:

I have only found 3 things on the web about my Mom. However if anyone knows about how to make edits to wikipedia please let me know or if you would like to help me get her info out there she and I would be gratefully indebted to YOU.

She is on the album with Sonny Stitt, top brass performing as the organist. and something about Roy Milton under R.Milton.com gives a little of her history. Otherwise her career was very much alive and well for years and should be listed in the history the Jazz genre. She was instrumental as far as female organist were concerned. Jimmy Smith told me, "If your Mom had been a man she would have been greater than me."

Sylvia E. 04-18-2009 03:53 PM

Perry Blackwell (Pillow Talk)

Hi Ms. Lee,

You can add info regarding your mother via IMdB (Internet Movie Database.) This site lists the cast, production team and various other information for movies and television. If you have trouble accessing it, let me know and I'll help you with it.

Please relay to your mother how enjoyable she was to hear in both films. How great to know that she's still playing.

Sylvia

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonE L.
RonE Lee here:

Perri Lee's youngest daughter at 59, Thank You very much. My Mom turns 84 on Feb 13, 2009. Yes she was born on Friday the 13th, of which my grandmother said, "it was a good day for me to get rid of a large load." So much for superstition. :up:

I have only found 3 things on the web about my Mom. However if anyone knows about how to make edits to wikipedia please let me know or if you would like to help me get her info out there she and I would be gratefully indebted to YOU.

She is on the album with Sonny Stitt, top brass performing as the organist. and something about Roy Milton under R.Milton.com gives a little of her history. Otherwise her career was very much alive and well for years and should be listed in the history the Jazz genre. She was instrumental as far as female organist were concerned. Jimmy Smith told me, "If your Mom had been a man she would have been greater than me."

Laura R. 08-11-2009 10:24 PM

RonE L.
I absolutely loved Perry Blackwell in the Bar scene in "Pillow Talk". I have been trying to find her music and in the process found this post. She was fabulous and I can't believe she did not do more and record more. I am disappointed that I can't find out more about her. I have a small website that does not get a lot of traffic but I would be happy to put up an article on her by you. I think that you could easily create an article on wikiepedia. Here is how I think you do it:
Create an account. Where it say's to log in you can click on create an account. Then follow the directions for creating an article. Here is what I did. I searched for her name and when an article entitled with her name did not come up there was a message that said you could create an article. Click on her name in that message and follow the instructions. Let me know if you need anymore help!
Laura Reno
You can also reach me here:
www.flutterbysandflowers.com

Have Gun Will Travel 08-13-2009 02:48 AM

This is one of my favorite scenes in "PILLOW TALK", Ms. Lee Blackwell, Ms. Day, and Mr. Hudson singing "Roly Poly".
What a FUN song to listen too.

Big Coffin Hunter 08-13-2009 04:55 AM

Huh.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4666/buseys.gif

Rex S. 11-12-2010 09:31 PM

Finally...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonE L. (Post 14935360)

My wife and I have been trying to find this out for years. We have loved your mother in that uncredited scene from the first time we saw it. We have always wondered who the singer was and have spent some time searching for info. (At one point we thought it might have been Ketty Lester but re-watched the movie and the resemblance wasn't there).

Is there a full recording of "You Lied" in existence? I would love to hear the whole song. The small part she sings in the movie often plays back in my head anytime I hear someone being less than honest. And the look she gives is priceless.

Best wishes to her and you.

Michael R. 12-26-2010 10:41 PM

Live Ringer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonE L. (Post 14966594)
Jimmy Smith told me, "If your Mom had been a man she would have been greater than me."

That scene of your mom in Dead Ringer was riveting the first time I saw it as a kid and itís still riveting today when I watch it. Certainly what was going on behind the scene amplified that feeling, but her cool organ playing and sweet and demure stage presence within that seedy environment somehow made that whole thing so much more powerful. She left an impression that has stayed with me nearly 40 years or more, and thatís not exactly an easy thing to do.

I am convinced that Jimmy Smith was probably right.

Alexandre L. 12-26-2010 11:31 PM

Pillow Talk is one of the most overlooked romantic comedies of all time. I've laughed all through it. It was great!

Jim G. 11-30-2011 10:32 AM

Miss Perri Lee

Her LP at the Parisian Room is now for sale on ebay.

Rumpled 4 Skin 11-30-2011 10:33 AM

African-American lol :p People actually use that word

jonavo 11-30-2011 10:54 AM

What is going on in this thread? There are all these people posting their first post in a Pillow Talk thread about a black chick that nobody has heard of. Something strange going on here.

Matt the Hat 11-30-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonavo (Post 19627613)
What is going on in this thread? There are all these people posting their first post in a Pillow Talk thread about a black chick that nobody has heard of. Something strange going on here.

Looks like somebody is having a conversation with themselves. Good film though.

jonavo 11-30-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt the Hat (Post 19627764)
Looks like somebody is having a conversation with themselves. Good film though.

How come the join dates are all different though? Is this some sort of elaborate plan?

Matt the Hat 11-30-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonavo (Post 19627798)
How come the join dates are all different though? Is this some sort of elaborate plan?

My guess is that every time the poster watches the film he/she decides to bump the thread.

jonavo 11-30-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt the Hat (Post 19627958)
My guess is that every time the poster watches the film he/she decides to bump the thread.

Oh, ok. I just noticed the thread goes back a few years. OP must really miss this lady.

Rumpled 4 Skin 11-30-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt the Hat (Post 19627958)

Yeah but theres 8 different people who all just posted once, now i can understand some of them rejoining with a new name and all

Plus Oliver replied to Laines post 4 yrs later, how the hell did he find the thread?

Then 2 yrs later her daughter turns up and finds the thread?

Spooky :eek:

And its got 4,807 views :confused:

jonavo 11-30-2011 04:00 PM

It has to be one person that just has an incredible love for this woman and shows it in a very unique way... by posting as someone else every now and then to make this lady seem more well known??? :confused:

kammy k. 12-06-2011 09:22 PM

Perry Blackwell is just wonderful! I wish her album "Miss Perri Lee at The Parisian Room" was available on CD!!!

jonavo 12-06-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kammy k. (Post 19643076)
Perry Blackwell is just wonderful! I wish her album "Miss Perri Lee at The Parisian Room" was available on CD!!!

And it continues! :eek:

Matt the Hat 12-07-2011 01:55 AM

Ok, I'll bite. The other links in this thread don't work so here is the scene where Doris Day sings Roly Poly with Perry Blackwell that everbody (well, one person) is talking about -

Pillow

I have to admit it was a memorable moment from the movie when I first watched it last year. I wonder if Doris Day ever starred in a film where she doesn't sing. She even managed to warble a tune in a Hitchcock film!

Rumpled 4 Skin 12-07-2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonavo (Post 19643100)

http://i53.tinypic.com/15fofw3.jpg

Death Proof 12-07-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonavo (Post 19643100)

Someone made an account just to post that.

Andrew T. 12-11-2011 06:09 PM

So glad to find this thread!

Roly Poly, to me, is one of the highlights of music on film, almost entirely due to Miss Blackwell carrying the scene. Glad to find other fans!!

jonavo 12-11-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew T. (Post 19653741)
Roly Poly, to me, is one of the highlights of music on film, almost entirely due to Miss Blackwell carrying the scene. Glad to find other fans!!

Nobody is buying it, whoever you are.