Forums

Forums (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Elementary (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=2282771)

Ryuk 09-27-2012 09:04 PM

Elementary

I didn't catch the pilot, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YvuZ4Msh50

This looks to be just about the worst thing to be a thing.

gilaskan 09-27-2012 09:20 PM

It wasn't awful, but it was one of the dullest and least inspired American remakes of a foreign show I've seen. Not bad, just... lifeless. Flaccid. Had none of the personality of Sherlock, nor the creative panache.

Loose Seal 09-27-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilaskan (Post 20183192)
It wasn't awful, but it was one of the dullest and least inspired American remakes of a foreign show I've seen. Not bad, just... lifeless. Flaccid. Had none of the personality of Sherlock, nor the creative panache.

Well that was obvious from the get-go since, you know...
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aoltv.com...bslogo200a.jpg

Voice O. Reason 09-27-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuk (Post 20183177)

Hyperbole much?

Pretty much disagree with everything said here. I thought it was pretty entertaining. I'll give it a few more episodes to see where it's going.

Ryuk 09-27-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voice O. Reason (Post 20183204)
Hyperbole much?

Yes.

Hipster Thor 09-28-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voice O. Reason (Post 20183204)
Hyperbole much?

Pretty much disagree with everything said here. I thought it was pretty entertaining. I'll give it a few more episodes to see where it's going.

Studio Plant.

Anyway, I'm surprised no one on the Sherlock team has sued these morons yet. But I guess things get sketchy when dealing with a public domain character.

The Crimson King 09-28-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loose Seal (Post 20183195)
Well that was obvious from the get-go since, you know...
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aoltv.com...bslogo200a.jpg

95% of the time I'd agree, but I just started watching Person of Interest and so far it looks to be a pretty good show. I'm only two episodes in, but the pilot was above average, and it looks like it could really be interesting if they build on the mythology of the show; so far there's too much of the procedural part of the show, but hey, Fringe was the same way at first, and its pilot was terrible.

Voice O. Reason 09-28-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipster Thor (Post 20183378)
Studio Plant.

Wrong. God forbid someone likes something you don't.

Argyle 09-28-2012 07:50 AM

At wasn't as terrible as I thought it'd be but it was still a little painful to watch and I wouldn't do it again.

Russian Army Knife 09-28-2012 07:53 AM

I was surprised to see Slant give it a positive review.

Harry Caul 09-28-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argyle (Post 20183557)
At wasn't as terrible as I thought it'd be but it was still a little painful to watch and I wouldn't do it again.

I'm pumped.

EllisCarver 09-28-2012 08:02 AM

It was actually pretty good. Miller and Liu make a good duo. Fans of the Moffat Sherlock really need to calm down about the CBS version. There's been 50 different adaptations of Sherlock through many different mediums, and there will be 50 more.

The only question I have is how long will the CBS writers hold off hooking the two of them up.

Meow Skywalker 09-28-2012 09:15 AM

You can't just call your main character Sherlock Holmes, and then assume that makes him Sherlock Holmes. You actually have to add some of his characteristics. This guy could be any one of the "unconventional detective that pretty much owes his existence to Sherlock Holmes" on tv right now.

EllisCarver 09-28-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meow Skywalker (Post 20183654)
You can't just call your main character Sherlock Holmes, and then assume that makes him Sherlock Holmes. You actually have to add some of his characteristics. This guy could be any one of the "unconventional detective that pretty much owes his existence to Sherlock Holmes" on tv right now.

But he does have some of his characteristics. Namely, the wit, intuition, and poor social skills.

Bukama 09-28-2012 09:59 AM

I will watch the pilot this weekend, as soon as I finish the season premiere of Person of Interest (which is great so far). But I have little hope of being able to stomache this version of Holmes. The British Sherlock is truly great, and puts to shame the Robert Downey Jr. films, imho.

All I've seen so far is a clip of Watson (Liu) ordering Holmes about. Not good. If they wanted to do the "sidekick who is the real brains of the operation" story, why didn't they name them Rocky and Bullwinkle (Liu sort of sounds like Rocky)

Bukama 09-28-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisCarver (Post 20183661)
But he does have some of his characteristics. Namely, the wit, intuition, and poor social skills.

Holmes did not have poor social skills, he simply had no time for fools and was honest in his estimation of others.

The Reaper 09-28-2012 10:06 AM

It should be called CSI: Sherlock. It's a CSI clone but it just happens to have a guy with the same name as a literary character playing the lead investigator. They ordered 13 eps for the first season. That's all it will get I think.

Jack Package 09-28-2012 10:13 AM

I actually thought Miller as Sherlock was a pretty good choice, but then Liu...

The Reaper 09-28-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Package (Post 20183716)
I actually thought Miller as Sherlock was a pretty good choice, but then Liu...

I kinda feel the same way. The guy can act. But Liu sucks and she's there just cuz. They picked her for political and strategic reasons. Just to make it different from BBC Sherlock, just to appeal to women, to add some faux sexual tension between them... all the wrong reasons, not b/c it will work or be a good relationship or that she's a great actress, not that. Idiots.

Duder 09-28-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuk (Post 20183177)
I didn't catch the pilot, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YvuZ4Msh50

I would give that to Arrow, but this is a close second.

Argyle 09-28-2012 11:00 AM

I mean, how is there supposed to be sexual tension if Watson is a guy? Guys can't have sexual tension with each other. They'd have to bring in girlfriend characters, and that would be twice the casting! CBS is thinking ahead on this one.

EllisCarver 09-28-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bukama (Post 20183696)

All I've seen so far is a clip of Watson (Liu) ordering Holmes about. Not good.

It's not like that at all. But you seem ready to hate it so I don't think you should waste your time with the CBS version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bukama (Post 20183698)
Holmes did not have poor social skills, he simply had no time for fools and was honest in his estimation of others.

That's a better description for both Miller-Holmes and Cumberbatch-Holmes.

Bos Grunniens 09-28-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilaskan (Post 20183192)

This. It's nowhere near as terrible as that trailer makes it seem, but there's still no earthly reason to watch it.

arcadefire325 09-28-2012 01:19 PM

i saw the pilot last night. it was mediocre and dull. the show is not the worst thing in world but it doesn't do anything for me. compared to the British Sherlock show, there was nothing interesting about the case or the show itself.

Bukama 09-28-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisCarver (Post 20183798)
It's not like that at all. But you seem ready to hate it so I don't think you should waste your time with the CBS version.

That's a better description for both Miller-Holmes and Cumberbatch-Holmes.

I was referring to the Conan Doyle Holmes, but you are right.

I am holding out little hope for it, but I have been surprised before. I really thought I would hate "The Mentalist" (because I love Psych and I thought it was a rip off), but I'm hooked on that show.

GerbilinRichardGeresass 09-28-2012 02:52 PM

Please stop with the crime shows! Oh my god I'm so sick of them.

post tenebras lux 09-28-2012 03:36 PM

Is it better than Monk? That was one of my favorite shows before I stopped watching detective shows. I need to watch Sherlock though. I love UK shows because they have short seasons and don't feel the need to drag them on years on end.

Bukama 09-28-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by post tenebras lux (Post 20184167)
Is it better than Monk? That was one of my favorite shows before I stopped watching detective shows. I need to watch Sherlock though. I love UK shows because they have short seasons and don't feel the need to drag them on years on end.

Each Sherlock is 1 and a half hours long, so they are more like movies. I loved most of Monk, but thought it flagged a little in the last and penultimate seasons. All six "episodes" of Sherlock have been outstanding. But will take a lot to keep up the quality when (if) they present season three.

katie with the helmet 09-29-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crimson King (Post 20183416)
95% of the time I'd agree, but I just started watching Person of Interest and so far it looks to be a pretty good show. I'm only two episodes in, but the pilot was above average, and it looks like it could really be interesting if they build on the mythology of the show; so far there's too much of the procedural part of the show, but hey, Fringe was the same way at first, and its pilot was terrible.

I adore Person of Interest. One of my favorite shows.

I liked Elementary. Though, I went into it without comparing it to Sherlock at all, so....

katie with the helmet 09-29-2012 10:24 AM

The only real problem I had with the episode was the ridiculously convoluted plot from the killer of finding a psych patient with a certain type of victim, and then convincing his wife to get plastic surgery to look like that type, and then making sure the patient was then set into his wife's path. Geez.....