Forums

Forums (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ironman Easter Eggs (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=624270)

anxman 05-04-2008 01:29 AM

Ironman Easter Eggs

WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAINER SPOILERS

Hi guys,

I'm new the forum so not sure if this is appropriate discussion. I wanted to discuss an easter egg that I saw in the movie and wanted to confirm whether or not I was crazy :)

So aside from the well-known Nick Fury easter egg at the end of the movie, did anyone else notice Captain America's shield in the workshop? I recall it being closer to the end of the movie ... probably 80% of the way through. I will probably go see the movie again soon, so I'll try to get more specific details.

It's entirely possible that I was mistaken, but basically I saw that scene and Captain America's Shield flashed into my eyes and into head but I couldn't pin-point exactly.

-Anxman

blsinner 05-04-2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anxman
WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAINER SPOILERS

Hi guys,

I'm new the forum so not sure if this is appropriate discussion. I wanted to discuss an easter egg that I saw in the movie and wanted to confirm whether or not I was crazy :)

So aside from the well-known Nick Fury easter egg at the end of the movie, did anyone else notice Captain America's shield in the workshop? I recall it being closer to the end of the movie ... probably 80% of the way through. I will probably go see the movie again soon, so I'll try to get more specific details.

It's entirely possible that I was mistaken, but basically I saw that scene and Captain America's Shield flashed into my eyes and into head but I couldn't pin-point exactly.

-Anxman

I don't think easter egg is the appropriate term to be using for a movie in theaters. I usually only see it used as a term for hidden extras on DVD's.

anxman 05-04-2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blsinner
I don't think easter egg is the appropriate term to be using for a movie in theaters. I usually only see it used as a term for hidden extras on DVD's.

Any suggestions on a more appropriate nomenclature? I'd like the thread to be accurately described.

I did a lot more searching and it looks like there are other reports of Captain America's shield on other forums also.

Thanks for any help!

impfromhell 05-04-2008 04:36 AM

Easter Eggs are also used in video games. Btw, I think Captain America is the gayest super hero of all time. They should never make a movie based on this guy. I just think patriotism is lame in the first place, yes I said it.

counting_goldfish 05-04-2008 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impfromhell
Easter Eggs are also used in video games. Btw, I think Captain America is the gayest super hero of all time. They should never make a movie based on this guy. I just think patriotism is lame in the first place, yes I said it.

Using "gay" as an insult is just plain dumb.

mooveeluver0731 05-04-2008 05:45 AM

WOW....man, can SOMEONE just answer the guy's question? What's GAY is trying to accurately define what an EASTER EGG is when that wasn't even close to being the topic for this thread. Hey Anxman, when you get someone here that can finally answer your question, let me know because I saw the movie and missed that s*** completely!

PopLife 05-04-2008 10:19 AM

I totally agree with mooveeluver.

The term may not be precise for an in theatre film. But we all get the idea. And yes, I do think there was an easter egg (more than one) in Iron Man.

I am inviting RT folk to check out my blog. My review of Iron Man is at the top. So please take a look and tell me what you think.

I know RT fans have some strong opinions. And thats what I want. Read more.

Thanks.
-Ray

anxman 05-04-2008 11:09 PM

I went to see Iron Man again this evening and I can CONFIRM the appearance of Captain America's shield.

It is in the work shop when Stark is trying to get out of the Iron Man suit. Penny walks in and Iron Man says, "Let's be honest, this isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing". This is the cue to pay close attention.

The scene then cuts to Pepper with a horrified expression in her face, where she says "are those bullet holes?!".

Look to her left. On the table in the background you can see Captain America's unfinished shield with a half-painted star on it.

Although it is likely just an Easter Egg, I'd like to throw out the possibility that the Avengers "planted" it there while checking the house for security reasons for Nick Fury to enter later on.</wild speculation>

EDIT: Corrected Pepper's name

DaHypr1 05-04-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

I went to see Iron Man again this evening and I can CONFIRM the appearance of Captain America's shield.

It is in the work shop when Stark is trying to get out of the Iron Man suit. Penny walks in and Iron Man says, "Let's be honest, this isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing". This is the cue to pay close attention.

The scene then cuts to Penny with a horrified expression in her face, where she says "are those bullet holes?!".

Look to her left. On the table in the background you can see Captain America's unfinished shield with a half-painted star on it.

Although it is likely just an Easter Egg, I'd like to throw out the possibility that the Avengers "planted" it there while checking the house for security reasons for Nick Fury to enter later on.</wild speculation>

oh man thats so cool!!! I'm definitely gonna have to look for that next time I see it. thanks for the heads up!

mooveeluver0731 05-04-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

The scene then cuts to Penny with a horrified expression in her face, where she says "are those bullet holes?!".

yea....WILD speculation! That couldn't be possible because they obviously hadn't implemented the Avengers program yet, according to ol' Nick Fury himself. Secondly, what reason would they have to plant the shield there? Third, some scientist created that shield in the books. I highly doubt event Tony Stark can create an indestructible shield on the level of what Cap uses.

Other than that and the fact that her name is "Pepper", this news makes me want to go back and see the movie all over again just for that scene.

anxman 05-04-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooveeluver0731
yea....WILD speculation! That couldn't be possible because they obviously hadn't implemented the Avengers program yet, according to ol' Nick Fury himself. Secondly, what reason would they have to plant the shield there? Third, some scientist created that shield in the books. I highly doubt event Tony Stark can create an indestructible shield on the level of what Cap uses.

Other than that and the fact that her name is "Pepper", this news makes me want to go back and see the movie all over again just for that scene.

Yeah, pretty wild speculation :) I wanted to rationalize it somehow.

Thanks for the heads up on Pepper's name. I'm sleepy at the moment. I corrected my post.

In general, the scene is so fast that you'll practically blink and miss it. If you were my friend asking me, I would suggest against seeing the movie just for that scene. It is definitely neat that it's there though.

During this second run, I kept an eye out for other things. Probably the only other thing that I caught was a clever foreshadowing early in the movie. When Shane and Stark are standing in front of the Arc Reactor after Stark returns from captivity, Shane says "we build weapons; we're iron-mongers". A reference to he becoming the villain later in the film.

coffeegirlct 05-05-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Yeah, pretty wild speculation :) I wanted to rationalize it somehow.

Thanks for the heads up on Pepper's name. I'm sleepy at the moment. I corrected my post.

In general, the scene is so fast that you'll practically blink and miss it. If you were my friend asking me, I would suggest against seeing the movie just for that scene. It is definitely neat that it's there though.

During this second run, I kept an eye out for other things. Probably the only other thing that I caught was a clever foreshadowing early in the movie. When Shane and Stark are standing in front of the Arc Reactor after Stark returns from captivity, Shane says "we build weapons; we're iron-mongers". A reference to he becoming the villain later in the film.

Which is really funny cause I don't remember them actually calling Stane Iron Monger in the flick but he is credited as such.

michaeljbyrd 05-05-2008 04:29 AM

maybe it was just a star spangled hubcap for his hot rod.

quickspider 05-05-2008 06:36 AM

Well, if we consider Marvel Timeline, Captain America has already been around since World War II. It could be Tony found that alluding to the fact that Tony does find Captain America in the artic. I know this to be true in the Ultimate Series timeline not entirely sure in the 616 or regular Marvel Universe timeline.

The black Nick Fury aka Sam Jackson Fury is also from the Ultimate timeline, being that writer Mark Millar used Sam Jackson as his inspiration for the Ultimate Nick Fury.

michaeljbyrd 05-05-2008 07:11 AM

Now, if they could throw in some small bit about Bruce Banner working on figuring out the Super Soldier serum in the new Hulk movie, that would the ****.

coffeegirlct 05-05-2008 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeljbyrd
maybe it was just a star spangled hubcap for his hot rod.

I almost spit my morning coffee at my computer through my nose when I read that one.

ROFL

The Cunning Linguist 05-05-2008 11:01 AM

In the scene where Tony is first testing the Iron Man suit's flight capability, he asks Jarvis to bring the altitude record and a schematic of the X-men's Blackbird comes on the screen.

Gay_McGee 05-05-2008 11:53 AM

OmGOD

michaeljbyrd 05-05-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfearins
In the scene where Tony is first testing the Iron Man suit's flight capability, he asks Jarvis to bring the altitude record and a schematic of the X-men's Blackbird comes on the screen.

I think it was just the SR-71 Blackbird, not the X-Jet thing...the real world Blackbird.

michaeljbyrd 05-05-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeegirlct
I almost spit my morning coffee at my computer through my nose when I read that one.

ROFL

sorry about that. no harm, right?

Dark Knight jr. 05-05-2008 02:31 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna check that out. But did anybody else notice that Terrence Howard looked at the prototype Iron Man suit and said "Next time", or something along those lines? HINT, HINT!

War Machine... *Joygasm*

mooveeluver0731 05-05-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

I think it was just the SR-71 Blackbird, not the X-Jet thing...the real world Blackbird.

Funny....I totally thought it was the X-Men's Blackbird. But seeing as how the movie was set in California, I don't think he'd have that much use for that kind of info. Then again, I don't know.....

impfromhell 05-05-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight jr.
Yeah, I'm gonna check that out. But did anybody else notice that Terrence Howard looked at the prototype Iron Man suit and said "Next time", or something along those lines? HINT, HINT!

War Machine... *Joygasm*

Yeah, it's already confirmed that War Machine will be featured in the sequel(s).

The Cunning Linguist 05-06-2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Actually, the x-jet is a scaled up version of the SR-71 (it has sometimes been designated as the SR-73) so it's hard to tell.

michaeljbyrd 05-06-2008 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfearins
Actually, the x-jet is a scaled up version of the SR-71 (it has sometimes been designated as the SR-73) so it's hard to tell.

huh, didn't know that...but, I was pretty sure that I saw SR-71 on the screen. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be cool to have another cross-reference for the other Marvel characters out there.

Oscar! 05-08-2008 04:23 PM

If you look it up on youtube they have a video clip of the scene, also theres a website called aboutheroes that has pics. It kinda looks like it

Dark Knight jr. 05-10-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impfromhell
Yeah, it's already confirmed that War Machine will be featured in the sequel(s).

Confirmed?

Where's the source? And will Terrence Howard reprise his role? Sh!i!t, he better.

Barefoot Jen 05-11-2008 05:58 AM

"10 Rings"

How about the name of the terrorist group "The 10 Rings"... a possible precursor to Iron Man's greatest nemesis; The Mandarin...?

PopLife 05-11-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

War Machine... *Joygasm*

Already covered. See: Iron Man Clues.

PopLife 05-11-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Confirmed?

Where's the source? And will Terrence Howard reprise his role? Sh!i!t, he better.

Quote:

Again, see: Iron Man Clues.