View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Beefsteak Tomato
The People's Court. Did Pixar steal students work?

You be the judge.

THE PLAINTIFF
Stevie Wermers first year animation student at Cal Arts.
The defendant states "I made a student film at Cal Arts shown at
the producers show attended several representatives from Pixar and Disney.
My film won first place among over fifty other student films presented at the show. Pixar and Disney both cast votes for the best films of the show so I believe they have to have seen and enjoyed my film.
A few years later I watched Monster's Inc. and to my stunned surprise For the Birds came on as a short before the film.
Similarities:
The characters. A big gawky bird and a bunch of little birds.
The Setting. A telephone line, two telephone poles and a country setting.
The set up. A bunch of little birds clustering together on a phone line crowding out a bigger very goofy looking bird.
Attitude: Big bird friendly and wants to be social. Little birds don't like him because he is big and gawky.
Similar scene: Big bird sitting on top of the pole waiting for an opportunity to sit.
Designs: While different you have to admit many of the design elements are very close especially when you consider this is 3D
Music: A silent film mostly told with pantomime and attitude.
The ending: Almost totally different except both end in a shower of bird debris.
Time
About 90 seconds for both

THE DEFENDANT
Pixar claims this film was in the beginnings or production and partly storyboarded before the film was a glint in Stevie Wermers eye.

THE JURY

You
Did Pixar representatives see this film at the Cal Arts producers show and helped it take first place and later decided to make one a lot like it?
Or is Pixar totally innocent here. After all there are a lot of stories about little birds on a phone line and a big goofy bird. Its a staple of american entertainment since film began.

And which film is funnier?
SMALL FRY BY STEVIE WERMERS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_o02W1Va0w
FOR THE BIRDS (STORY BY STEVIE WERMERS) AND PIXAR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i861a...eature=related

Let me know if the link stops working. I posted it as a private video which means only 25 can see it. I didn't want to post it all over You Tube.

Last edited by Atomic Cow; 01-26-2010 at 10:23 PM.