View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Goose Quill & Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zira, a chimpanzee
I also discovered, again recorded accidently from TCM, a short depicting the life of a stray mutt during the Depression. The mutt provides the voice-over. He's searching for a master so he won't get nabbed by the dog-catcher. SPOILER! He winds up with a friendly hobo, portrayed by the same guy who played the crazed Buckley ("Agony! Burning in my veins! I can't stand it!") in Dwain Esper's Maniac!
Dr. Zira, you have me chasing my own tail. I would love to see this short, but TCM doesn't catalog their time-fillers so I tried tracking it down via imdb using the Buckley character you cited in Esper's Maniac!. His name is Ted Edwards and he's listed as an "unemployed man" - perhaps your friendly hobo? - in the cast of Charlie Chaplin's 35-minute silent film, It's a Dog's Life (1918), a co-feature on this Chaplin DVD for The Kid which, according to amazon.com is no longer available - but there must be a connection.

This led me back to TCM and an interesting article about It's a Dog's Life which can be found here:

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/Article/0,,70845,00.html

There's a small picture of Chaplin holding a dog and I wonder if you could tell me if this is the same dog in the short you recently watched.

I'm also intrigued as to who provided the dog's voice for this "talkie" if any credits were given?

By the way, have you seen You Never Can Tell (1951), about a dog who goes to Animal Heaven and asks to return to earth as a humananimal in the form of Dick Powell - but I don't want to give too much away too many details for this utterly charming film.

And for cat lovers there's Rhubarb (1951) with Ray Milland and the recently deceased Jan Sterling, a name no one on these threads seems to recognize.